James Andrew Carrick (1911-1989)
James Andrew Carrick, the architect for Rothesay Pavilion, was born on 22 April 1911, the son of James Carrick, architect, of Ayr and his wife Susan Cunningham. He studied at the Glasgow School of Architecture in 1928 before serving his apprenticeship with James Miller. In 1930 he toured England to study ecclesiastical architecture, and in the following year he was awarded the Alexander Thomson travelling studentship which he used for a three-month study tour of Rome and Northern Italy. In 1933 he passed the professional practice exam, enabling him to be admitted ARIBA on 4 December that year. In 1934 he was taken into partnership in his father's firm, the name changing to J & J A Carrick, and in the same year he spent a month studying Greek buildings in Sicily and Southern Italy as Bourdon Memorial Student.
The elder Carrick was an excellent Arts and Crafts architect but in the younger Carrick's hands the direction of the practice quickly changed. The son was a significant modernist, as can be seen at Ayr Ice Rink, Gourock and Rothesay Pavilions, the latter of which he designed at the age of 24. In 1940 his father died, and with the outbreak of the Second World War the son's career was curtailed. He served as an officer with the Royal Artillery but after returning from the war resumed practice. He was elected FRIBA in 1953 and served as President of the Glasgow Institute of Architects from 1958-60 and as President of the RIAS from 1969-71.
He retired in 1981 enabling him to spend more time on his leisure pursuits, fishing, golf and gardening. He had a position with the River Doon Fisheries Board, was a keen Rotarian and served for a spell as President of the Ayr Rotary Club as well as being Captain of the Turnberry Golf Club in 1985 and 1986. The practice continued operating in central and southern Scotland until 1982 when it merged with Cowie Torry and Partners and became Carrick Cowie and Torry. The new partnership took over the practice of T K Irving and Partners of Stranraer in 1985 and in 1999 changed its name to Carricks, James Andrew Carrick having died on 23 November 1989 in Ayr County Hospital. He was survived by his wife, Christiana Margaret Waddell, and his son and daughter. He was described by his obituarist as a 'kind man and a good practitioner'.
Adapted from the Dictionary of Scottish Architects.
With thanks to James Carrick and Rena Halliday for archive photographs.